VPN Tunnel

tradigan at newrevolutions.net tradigan at newrevolutions.net
Thu Jun 30 15:01:34 GMT 2005

Hey everyone..

I'm having some problems getting a VPN tunnel working between two sites.
Currently I am just trying to establish a tunnel and worry about the
encryption after the tunnel is up and functional, however I cannot even get
the tunnel established.  I have followed the directions from the FreeBSD
handbook but had no luck.  Here is my scenario:

Network 1:

FreeBSD Internal IP: 192.168.20.13
FreeBSD External IP: 12.34.56.78

Network 2:

FreeBSD Internal IP: 192.168.15.2
FreeBSD External IP: 87.65.43.21

On the Network 1 Box, I configured the gif0 interface as follows:

root at freebsd# ifconfig gif0 create
root at freebsd# ifconfig gif0 tunnel 12.34.56.78 87.65.43.21
root at freebsd# ifconfig gif0 inet 192.168.20.13 192.168.15.2 netmask
255.255.255.255

For IPFilter, I have the following rules at the TOP of the script:
pass in quick from 87.65.43.21 to any on xl0
pass in quick on gif0 all
pass out quick on gif0 all

On the Network 2 Box, I configured the gif0 interface as follows:

root at host# ifconfig gif0 create
root at host# ifconfig gif0 tunnel 87.65.43.21 12.34.56.78
root at host# ifconfig gif0 inet 192.168.15.2 192.168.20.13 netmask
255.255.255.255

For IPFilter, I have the following rules at the TOP of the script:
pass in quick from 12.34.56.78 to any on xl0
pass in quick on gif0 all
pass out quick on gif0 all

After I have created both gif0 interfaces on each of the boxes, the FreeBSD
handbook says I should be able to ping the private IP of the other BSD
machine.  When I ping from Network 1, I don't get any type of response and
just 100% failed sent packets.  When I ping from Network 2, I get a 'No route
to host' message as well as 100% failed sent packets.

I have been at this for 2 days now and I'm really starting to get frustrated.
Am I missing something here?  Any help would be appreciated.

--Tim