Vinum subdisk crash

Gareth Bailey gjbailey at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 13:37:58 GMT 2005

Hello everyone,

Just to add, I had to type out the above message manually since I can't get
access to anything with the crashed subdisk on /usr.
With regard to Greg's requests for information when reporting vinum problems
as stated on vinumvm.org <http://vinumvm.org>'s website, I can provide the
following info:

What problems are you having?
My usr.p0.s0 subdisk reports a 'crashed' status

Which version of FreeBSD are you running?
4.10 Stable

Have you made any changes to the system sources, including Vinum?
No

Supply the output of the *vinum list* command. If you can't start Vinum,
supply the on-disk configuration, as described below. If you can't start
Vinum,
then (and only then) send a copy of the configuration file.
I can't get anything off the system, and its too long to type out! (I have
the same layout as in the Van Valzah article.)

Supply an *extract* of the Vinum history file. Unless you have explicitly
renamed it, it will be */var/log/vinum_history*. This file can get very big;
please limit it to the time around when you have the problems. Each line
contains a timestamp at the beginning, so you will have no difficulty in
establishing which data is of relevance.
I will summarise the tail of vinum_history (doesn't seem to provide any
interesting info):
30 Jun 2005 ***vinum started***
30 Jun 2005 list
30 Jun 2005 ***vinum started***
30 Jun 2005 dumpconfig

Supply an *extract* of the file */var/log/messages*. Restrict the extract to
the same time frame as the history file. Again, each line contains a
timestamp at the beginning, so you will have no difficulty in establishing
which data is of relevance.
Again, I will summarise the tail contents of messages:
30 Jun server /kernel: ad0s1h: hard error reading fsbn 59814344 of
29126985-29127080 (ad0s1 bn 59814344; cn 3723 tn 69 sn 2) trying PIO mode
30 Jun server /kernel: ad0s1h: hard error reading fsbn 59814344 of
29126985-29127080 (ad0s1 bn 59814344; cn 3723 tn 69 sn 2) status=59 error=40
30 Jun server /kernel: vinum: usr.p0.s0 is crashed by force
30 Jun server /kernel: vinum: usr.p0 is faulty
30 Jun server /kernel: vinum: usr is down
30 Jun server /kernel: fatal:usr.p0.s0 read error, block 29126985 for 49152
bytes
30 Jun server /kernel: usr.p0.s0: user buffer block 28102720 for 49152 bytes

If you have a crash, please supply a backtrace from the dump analysis as
discussed below under Kernel Panics. Please don't delete the crash dump; it
may be needed for further analysis.
I'm not sure if a kernel panic occurred?

I hope this information helps, and that someone can give me some advice!

Cheers,
Gareth