Can't su from rxvt

John McAree john at mcaree.org
Wed Jun 29 19:33:09 GMT 2005

Hi,

I'm currently running:
FreeBSD chimaera 6.0-CURRENT-SNAP004 FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT-SNAP004 #0: Thu
Jun  2 06:12:51 UTC 2005
root at wv1u.samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

(although the problem existed on FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE, also).

I use rxvt (rxvt-2.6.4_1) when in X, and I am unable to su from it for
some reason. If I `su -` or `su`, I'm prompted for root's password,
however the authentication fails. If I'm logged in from the console, or
running gnome-terminal, I can su to root just fine. Also, if I use rxvt
and ssh out (to my laptop say), then ssh back, I can su just fine.

I'm incredibly confused. Does anyone have any idea why this could be
happening?

Thanks in advance,
John.