[FYI] QT4 licensing looks very bad for *BSD

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Wed Jun 29 11:32:22 GMT 2005

Folks,

I don't want to scare anyone but today QT4 was released and their web page

(http://www.trolltech.com/download/opensource.html)

specifically states several times that if using the free version one is
required to release their own code under GPL. That's effectively a
requirement to relicense which goes much further than the GPL itself. The
former licensing amounted to "abide to the GPL or QPL" as is normal for a GPL
project and in that case one could release code under BSDL and if anything
let the next guy worry about it (if they want to distribute a derivative).

I think this should be discussed. I already sent the Trolls an email asking
for clarification about this, or rather if it's as bad as it seems for us.
Perhaps they just overlooked the *BSDs...

Dan

PS keep your flames to yourselves. This is serious.