Small HTTPD + PHP4

Grant freebsdlists at thingysrealm.myftp.org
Tue Jun 28 17:54:54 GMT 2005

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:58:33 -0400
Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:

> Grant wrote:
> > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:54:16 -0400
> > Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
> [ ... ]
> > The only reason i'm moving from apache is that apache has started
> > (well proberly did but i didnt notice) eating large amounts of ram,
> > even when idle, as i type this there is 4 apache processes using
> > 29mb each, now when there is a few people on my forum/site that goes
> > up to around 12processes again all using 29mb which adds up to being
> > quite a big chunck of my ram. (384mb just for apache).
>
> Sounds about right.  If you run Apache without enabling PHP, you'll
> discover  that each httpd takes around 5MB per process, less than 20%
> of the size you are  seeing.
>
> > So i either want to get php working on a smaller httpd or maybe fix
> > apache.
>
> You don't seem to understand the problem: it has nothing to do with
> apache.
>
> If you try to get PHP working on a smaller httpd, you will end up with
> an httpd  (or the equivalent in external fast-cgi processes) that uses
> lots of resources,  because PHP itself uses lots of resources.
>
> PHP and small/lightweight doesn't happen.  PHP is bulky, slow,
> inefficient, and  has a security record which resembles that of
> Windows or sendmail.

Hey,

Thanks again for the reply,

Ok by removing php i guess that would sort out the problem.

But I dont know of any forums that use a database that doesn't use php
in someway, so what could i do to make my apache and php as small as
possible, any small tweaks or something ?

Or do you know of a non php based forum that is quite fast and has the
same type of things on a php based one. the way the forum is stored isnt
a worry, be it a simple text file or some fancy database run one.

Thanks again
Grant.