Best hardware to mirror IDE drives under FreeBSD?

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Tue Jun 28 04:09:36 GMT 2005

On Jun 27, 2005, at 6:54 PM, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 06:48 PM 6/27/2005, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
>

>> The 1820a has hardware XOR while the 1820 is purely software
>>

> This server will be mirroring, so we wouldn't need XOR. It'd
> be a big plus for RAID 5, though.

I don't know about the Highpoint (my 1820a is used as a jbod
controller only -- the only one I could find that was low profile :-)
but some better RAID controllers do the mirroring in HW as well -- no
software drives the RAID functions.  My adaptec 2100S 2200S 2410A all
do it this way, which I greatly prefer.  I like the "complexity" of
the RAID completely hidden from the OS.

Chad