Small HTTPD + PHP4

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Jun 28 01:54:27 GMT 2005

Grant wrote:
[ ... ]
> I dont know if this is the right choice for me, but all i really want is
> a small simple and fast httpd for running a php forum and thats about
> it.. nothing else.

If you're looking for a small, simple, fast webserver, consider thttpd.

If you are looking for a small, simple, fast webserver, forget about trying to
use server-side includes, Perl/mod_perl, PHP, or any other scripted language,
especially if they are talking to a database.  A large PHP BBS requires a lot
of resources because it is not especially efficient way of solving the problem.

[ Compare the number of HTTP transactions-- and the sizes involved-- of looking
through the Mailman archives of this list versus reading your favorite PHP
board.  Animated GIFs for smileys, user avatar images and .sigs, or worse,
.sigs in Flash, etc, etc... ]

--
-Chuck