Questions about packages and ports

Svein Halvor Halvorsen svein-freebsd-questions at theloosingend.net
Mon Jun 27 22:14:21 GMT 2005

* Sean Murphy [2005-06-27 10:59 -0700]
>  I like to use the pkg_add -r feature of FreeBSD, however I have run
>  into a problem where the ports have a more current version of the app
>  then the package of the same app.
>
>  It seems the ports collection is updated more then the package
>  collection is this true?

The packages are automatically built from the port-collection. So a
package is a binary pre-build version of the corresponding port. The ports
collection are updated several times a day, while the rebuild-process
takes a long time.

This compilation takes place on the package building clusters
(pointyhat.freebsd.org and some other cluster of which I cannot remember
the name). Once the peckages have been built, they're uploaded to the
master ftp-site, and will then be propagated to the mirror-sites.

The packages are rebuilt about once a week, I think.

>  Is the maintainer of a package and a port the same person?  Are they
>  responsible for updating the package and the port?

Since the packages are automatically built, they don't have a maintainer
in the same way as the ports do. I guess it is the Release Engineer team
that's in charge of the packages that come with a release, but the one's
that's on the ftp-sites are just automatically built from the ports. This
process is prone to errors, and if a port becomes broken, I guess the
corresponding package might get out-of-date. You could take a look at the
errorlog on pointyhat.freebsd.org, but I'm not too sure about this
process. Someone else could probably fill in the blanks. Or you could do a
search on the web. I'm sure this process is described in detail somwhere.

Bottom line is that the port maintainer makes sure that the port is
buildable. The pointyhat-cluster then builds it to make a package. The
package as such, has no maintainer of its own.

>  Packages will download dependencys required by the app does the ports do
>  this as well?

Yes!