Vinum & GVinum Recommendations

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Mon Jun 27 18:58:31 GMT 2005

I am using 4.11 and have been a FBSD user since the beginning of version
4.  I successfully used vinum to create concatenated volumes that have
grown over time.  Vinum has proved very stable as long as the drives
were IDE or SCSI.  However I outgrew the confines of my case and added a
firewire enclosure that contains two IDE drives.  This was somewhere
around 4.6.

Initially, the firewire drives worked well once I learned I needed to
set the SCSI delay kernel config option back up to 15 secs from 5
(unfortunately I lost my volumes getting that education).  But when I
upgraded from 4.9 to 4.10, vinum and the firewire devices didn't play
well.  I posted about it here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-December/069290.html

Later, I discovered there was an spb timeout issue that might be part of
the problem and I posted about it here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-firewire/2005-February/000331.html

Anyway, I've been using the delete/create vinum volume workaround after
every reboot as I never found a solution.  But this last time, I lost
both vinum volumes performing that workaround.  I don't know what
happened exactly other than fsck started getting disk errors.  At the
first problem, I answered 'n' and aborted the fsck.  I tried the
delete/create workaround again but was unable to stop or rm the
subdisks, plexes, drives, etc.  Then I rebooted. did the delete/create
thing, but no longer could fsck read the disks.

Without going on and on, the bottom line is that now I've lost both
vinum volumes again.  Since the bulk of my system is gone (I sure hope
the tapes I have are good), I've decided to consider moving up to
version 5.  I've googled for info on gvinum but see a lot of posts about
it being "flaky".  What's it's status at this time?  I really like
having one large concatenated drive for storing my digital pictures,
video, etc. but at this point, stability is more important.  Also, how
does ccd work with 5?

I'd appreciate hearing of your experiences with vinum, gvinum, and ccd,
especially as they relate to firewire devices.

Thanks,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse