freebsd as the basis for something better?

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 17:01:39 GMT 2005

On 6/27/05, el-sino at hushmail.com <el-sino at hushmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Nikolas!
>
> >Hey don't bash plan9, they have some cool ideas and unix would not
> >exist if it wasn't for bell labs (AT&T back then) but mainly I
> >just like glenda (the one in the space suit), can we change the
> beastie
> >to glenda? http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/glenda.html
>
> Plan9 deserves my apologies because of Glenda. Damn cute :)
>
> >UNIX is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends
> >are. New gui tools are needed. lets bring the CLI tools to the
> GUI,
> >like pipes, redirects, etc. some of apples ideas are nice aka
> NeXTSTEP.
> >Why are we trying to emulate windows when mircosoft just steals
> it's
> >idea's from apple? lets cut the middle man out. BeOS was cool too.
>
> Well said.
>
> Don't tell anybody about this: www.senseos.org/sos.pdf
> But that's what I intend to do so far (+ www.quelsolaar.com).
>
> >I'm not a programmer so I'm not sure how I could help you.
>
> A solid supply of ideas would be nice!

To bring UNIX to the masses one of the first things we need to do is
make installing and running apps easy. Right now we are in what once
was called "DLL Hell" in windows 3.x, is this the best we can do? Hard
drive space is a non issue today so what is wrong with making fat
binaries that that have all the dependencies compiled into one file.
Another apple idea is making the binaries platform independent so it
will run on an i386, ppc, sparc, etc. This is the biggest problem I
have with UNIX.

Step 1: Download the app from developer foo's website.
Step 2: Double click on the app.
Step 3: The app launches and the dam thing just works.

What is so hard about this guys?

Anyways... here's a cool video from back in the day, 1991 (DOS 5.0 and
windows 3.0 in microsoft's timeline), with steve jobs demoing
NeXTSTEP. Microsoft's windows still can't do some of the stuff they
where doing back in 91. It a quicktime video btw:
http://www.openstep.se/jobs/