freebsd as the basis for something better?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Mon Jun 27 12:22:25 GMT 2005

On Jun 27, 2005, at 2:40 AM, Kurt Buff wrote:

> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

Bah...

The ultimate interface is one where you sit at a table and the whole
table surface is a tactile interface to a computer, three
dimensionally.  File system navigation?  The table acts like a 3D
version of FSV (ever run that program?  It's kind of limited and
dated...could use a small overhaul...still a nice one for quickly
looking at what is hogging up space in my home directory though at a
glance).  The table will dance with cubes and pyramids as I just "touch
and drag" a cube representing a file I'm copying to another location on
the table.  Then tap it a couple times to open it...and a "monitor"
grows from the table to display the contents.  A rubbery keyboard also
grows from the tabletop as well.  Ow...wrists kind of sore from typing
too long...tap a "customize" panel and then draw your finger through
the middle of the tactile keyboard, and it splits as if cut by an
invisible blade on my finger.  Then grasp each half of the keyboard,
pull it apart about six inches, and raise the interior pointing side of
the keyboard halves about an inch up, angling the keys...instant
"ergonomic" keyboard.

When I'm done, you just tell the computer to log you out...the table
then settles back into a flat matte surface and activates a "table
saver" of gradually pulsating multicolor ripples as if looking a velvet
pond while playing some light acoustic music, waiting for the next user
to log in.

That would be an interesting interface...

And would we really want eyeball gestures?  I mean, it's hard enough to
deny what we're looking at on the ads and displays to our significant
others without the pointer giving us away. :-)