freebsd as the basis for something better?

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 08:08:00 GMT 2005

On 6/27/05, Kurt Buff <kurt.buff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

Nice one ted but it would still be cool to have pipe and redirect
stuff in the GUI. Basically extending the UNIX philosophy of modular
tools into the GUI. I seem to remember someone talking about this in
the Daemon's Advocate column @ daemonnews.org but I can't seem to find
it, maybe I'm thinking of something else.

> > Ted
>
> Must seriously disagree. Voice command is of very limited use - it's not
> private, and difficult to use in crowded surroundings.
>
> Further, if you consider the space in the human brain for visual
> processing vs. aural processing, I think you'll find that visual
> processing wins. At least for feedback, the human visual system is much
> better.
>
> However, the best interface for human input to machines is, IMHO, still
> to be determined. I don't claim that the keyboard/mouse interface is
> best, but it is, again IMHO, superior to voice command. What would be
> better than keyboard/mouse? I really don't know. One SWAG would be
> reading brainwaves, or perhap eyeball gestures - but that's just sheer
> speculation.

You forgot finger and hand gestures and touch and sound sensors. we
could have a matrix style plug in the back of are head? A direct brain
to computer interface would be the best interface. But it might be too
much I/O for a computer to handle, If you don't believe me just "look"
at what your eye's are doing in real-time 3D @ 10000000000000000000
fps. anyone remember the 3 dimensional touch and hand gesture
interface and GUI they used in Minority Report? that would be cool in
real life.

> I'm still a partisan of the command line, however. It's simply too
> flexible an interface, with too much history, to ignore. The human
> species has spent far too much intellectual capital making text-based
> interfaces (try explaining philosophy with pictures only) to the world
> to give it up, and the interface is so much more  powerful than any gui,
> that I believe it will prove fruitless to try to better it with a GUI.
> Electron for electron, a text interface is much more information-dense
> than any GUI - for expressing commands. Note the difference. Getting
> output in graphic form can be (often is) better than in text, but input
> is better through the command line.

So why can't we "mesh" the two environments together... The qwerty
keyboard, 125 years old, is very inefficient and awkward. "point and
click" = "point and grunt", it's a step backwards from the keyboard.
What we need is a new interface and a new (GUI) system to exploit it.