media player for mpeg-4? xmms can't load faad plugin

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Mon Jun 27 04:50:40 GMT 2005

On 06/26/05 02:47 PM, Louis LeBlanc sat at the `puter and typed:
> Anyone have any luck getting xmms to play m4a (mpeg-4) files?
>
> I've installed the xmms-faad port, but the libmp4.so plugin doesn't
> seem to want to work:
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/xmms/Input/libmp4.so: Undefined symbol "MP4GetTrackAudioType"
>
> I wonder if this could be one port stepping on another, or even just a
> simple path problem, like LD_LIBRARY_PATH?
>
> I have gotten gmplayer to play these files, but it doesn't do playlist
> shuffling and the gain is so low through gmplayer that I have to crank
> the gain and volume to the max just to hear it at a decent level.
> Then every darn time I get email, ringin.wav plays over it at max
> volume.  I almost did myself a mischief the first time that happened.
> Sure it's hilarious in hindsight, but it really scares the dirt outa
> you when it happens.
>
> I also tried xine.  It's pretty cool looking and all, like xmms, and
> it has a very cool splash, but it dumps core when I try to play m4a
> files.
>
> BTW, these m4a files were ripped by iTunes on my wife's windoze box,
> and I am trying to play them on FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p1.
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated.

Here's the pointer for the next *BSD user looking to make better use
of his/her iTunes than keeping them on a 'doze box.

Install audio/rhythmbox.  I suggest using the gstreamer backend (xine
dumped core on me when I tried to play m4as).

Rhythmbox rocks.  The gui isn't as fancy as xmms or xine, or even
iTunes itself, but under the hood I like it as much as iTunes.  You
get the same 'net radio, shuffle play, playlists and you have a very
straightforward windowed filter by artist, album, etc.  It's just as
easy to rate a tune, too.  And unlike iTunes, it gave me a startoff
rating right down the middle of the road for all tunes.

The only thing I've noticed that isn't there is the date filtering in
automatic playlists.

And I didn't have to do a thing to get it to trap the fancy msoft
multimedia keys (play, pause, stop, next, prev).  It all just worked.

I haven't tried it yet, but it claims to be able to load my iPod too.
Maybe I _can_ put off buying a powerbook until the Intel based systems
come out.

Very, very cool.
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living.  The world owes
you nothing.  It was here first.
    -- Mark Twain