Perl 5.8.6 to 5.8.7 upgrade fails IPC tests

Mikko Työläjärvi mbsd at pacbell.net
Sun Jun 26 21:32:37 GMT 2005

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Louis LeBlanc wrote:

> On 06/26/05 10:39 PM, albi at scii.nl sat at the `puter and typed:
>> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:17:06 -0400
>> Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD at keyslapper.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having a little trouble with my perl upgrade from 5.8.6 to 5.8.7.
>> -- cut --
>>> ok 5
>>> ok 6
>>> semget: No space left on device
>>
>> you need to make disc-space, one idea is to run portsclean -C or to make
>> some more space in /usr/home
>
> That would be the obvious cause, but not so:

[...]

Indeed. Disk space most likely has nothing to do with it.

The semget(2) call returns ENOSPC when unable to allocate semaphores,
due to hitting one of the many SYSV IPC limitations. Some things to
look for:

  - You need to have SYSVSEM in your kernel, or "sysvsem.ko" loaded.

  - Check semaphore limits with "ipcs -S"

  - Check current semaphore usage with "ipcs -s"

  - Figure out what limit is being hit and do something about it :-)

    Some of the values can be tweaked at run-time, with
    "sysctl kern.ipc.semxxx=value", others have to be set at boot
    time (in /boot/loader.conf), or compiled into the kernel.

    $.02,
    /Mikko