pkgtool.conf?

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Sun Jun 26 14:09:02 GMT 2005

Vic FreeBSD wrote:
> I need to compile some of my pet programs from the ports according to specific
> configure options valid of course for each of them (I mean the options that
> go with the "make" command).
> Somewhere in the internet I read something about an /etc/pkgtool.conf allowing
> those tailoring but looking for /etc/pkgtool.conf both in www.freebsd.org and
> in the internet I could find pieces of rubbish only, it al seems to be
> vanished.

Ciao Vic,

install either of the following ports:
sysutils/portupgrade
or
sysutils/port-maintenance-tools (which is a meta port for portuprade and
  some of its friends).

then you'll find

/usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf

and a default conf too.

I found it best to get all the right options I wanted for a port (or if
i couldn't find exactly all the options I needed...) to run a make,
select the options needed, accept, (then cancel if u want). The options
u selected get saved in /var/db/ports/[PORT_NAME]/options . simply
reformat the lines in the options file and put them in your
pkgtools.conf and u're set.
You should also pay special attention to the messages that are >>stdout
when you start compiling,as they usually show you other useful options.

BTW, I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think that pkgtools.conf is only
read by the port* tools. so once you start using pkgtools.conf, you
should install your ports with "portinstall section/port" rather than
"cd section/port; make install".

Good luck,
Beto