Xvnc + inetd

Ken Quach duckeo at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 07:17:56 GMT 2005

I'm trying to turn FreeBSD5.4 into a 'terminal server' of sorts,
allowing users to VNC in to access various network related utilities.

What I'm seeing is a gray screen when connecting into vnc, which I
know is indicative of not having a window manager set up.

My question is when running xvnc through inetd, I can specify which
user to run it as.

I've tried using root and nobody, as well as a 'vnc' user which I
created. In all cases it seems not to read the ~/.vnc/xstartup file as
I expect it would (e.g. /root/.xvnc/xstartup).

I've followed various guides to ensure settings are correct but now I'm stumped.

Various config files are below. Any ideas as to what else I need to change?

--
/root/.vnc/xstartup:
#!/bin/sh

[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &

#xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
kdm &

--
/etc/inetd.conf (relevant line)
vnc-1024x768x16 stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvnc

I have also tried running it with tpcd
--
/usr/local/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
[Xdmcp]