Portupgrade in Xfree86 pkg failed

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat Jun 25 23:31:24 GMT 2005

Yes, that is why I said "isn't really active"

Active means a release is planned and the branch has a future. That
branch
is in maintainence mode at this time.

>>>As for the licensing meta-fiasco, see the FAQ or use Google to find
>>>out more; this has been hashed and re-hashed and re-re-hashed here,
>>>and in other venues, many times.
>>>

>> If the licensng was a non-issue then xorg wouldn't exist.
>
>The reason for Xorg existence are not licensing issues.
>
>> Personally I deplore the move to xorg based on the simple requirement
>> of xfree86 for recognition in their new license - this was the
>> same bunch of bullcrap that the GPL bigots were using to throw rocks
>> at the BSD license years ago.
>
>The move to Xorg as default X11 implementation in ports was not made on
>licensing base.

Well then I feel better that the Project made the right choice in going
with xorg.  I still deplore the splitting of X development between
the 2 groups, however.

>> We just had a big thread on making FreeBSD easier to use for the
>> average person - and now your claiming that it's a -good- thing
>> to have two completely different X Windows distributions?!?!  How
>> exactly does this HELP with the complexity issue - unless the goal is
>> to make FreeBSD even more complicated?
>
>We also support two kerberos implementations, three different
>ghostcripts a
>number of desktop environments, just as example.

Those are simpler, have less effect on everything else if they go away.

Ted