Is this a safe way to multi-home a mail server?

Lars Kristiansen lars+lister.freebsd at adventuras.no
Sat Jun 25 20:18:06 GMT 2005

> 1.  Can I have both host IPs (one from each DSL net) as A records in
> DNS for the mail server's name--e.g.,
>
> 	mail.my.domain	IN A 1.2.3.4
> 	mail.my.domain	IN A 5.6.7.8
>
> and expect mail to arrive at the machine regardless of which network
> is working at any given time?  (Part of the

Might help with the first question:
If you have two A records and someone tries to send mail to your
mailserver, a random pick is performed and if it cannot connect, delivery
fails and will be tried later with a new random choose between the A
records.
On the other hand, if you use two different hostnames with same priority in
MX record it will choose one random and try the other if it fails.

--
Med vennlig hilsen
Lars Kristiansen

A D V E N T U R A S