Help, I killed my machine.

Björn König bkoenig at cs.tu-berlin.de
Thu Jun 23 22:43:45 GMT 2005

Louis LeBlanc wrote:

> On 06/23/05 10:02 PM, Björn König sat at the `puter and typed:
>
>>The -p stands for "pre-buildworld mode", i.e. you should run it before
>>buildworld. ;-)
>
> Uh, careful.  My copy of the FreeBSD handbook
> (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html)
> says to do it this way:
>
> # make buildworld
> # make buildkernel
> # make installkernel
> # reboot
>
> [...]
>
> After installkernel finishes successfully, you should boot in single
> user mode (i.e. using boot -s from the loader prompt). Then run:
>
> # mergemaster -p
> # make installworld
> # mergemaster
> # reboot

Indeed.

I read the mergemaster script partially and deceided that it won't hurt
to run 'mergemaster -p' before 'make buildworld'; and I think that this
way is the intention of the author of mergemaster too. If I'm mistaken
then somebody should state the description in mergemaster(8) more
precisely. I think it is confusing to call it 'pre-buildworld mode' if
it would be better to execute this command after 'make buildworld' in
general. I prefer looking into manpages than into the handbook.

Björn

P.S.: I CC'd Doug Barton who wrote most parts of mergemaster.