boot into sigle user from cd

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Jun 23 20:04:33 GMT 2005

On 2005-06-23 15:18, Eric <eman at xecu.net> wrote:
> I am building a custom recovery cd and would like to have it boot into
> sigle user mode automatically.
>
> Within the loader.rc file I have:
>  set boot_single
>
> which boots into signle usr, however, it prompts for the default shell;
>
> "Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:"
>
> Is there a way to set the default shell so that it does not prompt?

IIRC, it is init(8) that prints this final message and not the loader.

Right...

if you look at /usr/src/sbin/init/init.c, you'll see that init(8) builds
with -DDEBUGSHELL.  Removing this from the Makefile and rebuilding
/sbin/init disabled the prompt for a shell and will just fire up /bin/sh
(or whatever _PATH_BSHELL was when /sbin/init was built).