Newbie - Trouble Installing Gnome2

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Thu Jun 23 14:46:08 GMT 2005

On Thursday 23 June 2005 03:14, Lawrence Petrykanyn wrote:
>             Next I went to /usr/ports/x11/gnome2 and did "make install
> clean".  This ran for hours, occasionally prompting me for preferences,
> then it stopped.  Here is what it said...
>
>             Attempting to fetch from
> ftp://ftp-FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/ghostscript/.
>             fetch: ghostscripts-fonts-std-8.11.tar.gz: local modification
> does not match remote

I'm assuming it actually said:
" local modification *time* does not match remote"

If that's correct then try adding:

FETCH_CMD=   fetch -FARr

to /etc/make.conf.

By default fetch checks that a partially complete file matches the datestamp
of the remote file, this. This is supposed to stop you continue downloading a
file that has been modified, but in practice I find this check overwhelmingly
produces false-positives. The integrity of the file is decided  by md5
anyway.