Newbie - Trouble Installing Gnome2

Lawrence Petrykanyn lawrence.petrykanyn at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 23 14:14:06 GMT 2005

Hi,

            In order to have a clean start, I installed FreeBSD 5.4 from
scratch (disc1, only).  I choose the installation option "All system
sources, binaries and and X Window System".  Everything went well.  The
first thing I did after the system rebooted was a portupgrade -a.  Then I
did a cvsup with the following supfile...

            *default tag=.
            *default host=cvsup10.FreeBSD.org
            *default prefix=/usr
            *default base=/var/db
            *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress

            src-all
            ports-all

            ..as per instructions in Appendix A of the Handbook.  That went
well.  Then I ran "cvs mysupfile".  It ran for quite a while, but gave no
error messages, so I guess it went well.  Then I did "Xorg -configure" and
everything worked okay and got into xterm.

            Next I went to /usr/ports/x11/gnome2 and did "make install
clean".  This ran for hours, occasionally prompting me for preferences, then
it stopped.  Here is what it said...

            Attempting to fetch from
ftp://ftp-FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/ghostscript/.
            fetch: ghostscripts-fonts-std-8.11.tar.gz: local modification
does not match remote
            => Couldn't find it - please try to retrieve this
            => port manually in /usr/ports/distfiles/ghostscript and try
again.
            ***Error Code 1
            Stop in /usr/ports/print/gsfonts
            ***Error Code 1
            Stop in /usr/ports/print/ghostscript-gnu
            ***Error Code 1
            Stop in /usr/ports/print/ggv
            ***Error Code 1
            Stop in /usr/ports/gnome2

            ...so, what happened?  I am a newbie and don't understand what
"porting manually" to retrieve this file means.  Should I just start from
scratch again and reinstall?  I don't have any files on my disk that I have
to back up.  And if/when I reinstall, is it sufficient to just select the
"Average User" distribution set and just add additional files, as I need
them?

            Any advice, comments and suggestions would be very appreciated
at this time.

Thanks in advance,
Lawrence