RELENG_5_3 // RELENG_5_3_RELEASE

Björn König bkoenig at cs.tu-berlin.de
Thu Jun 23 10:37:30 GMT 2005

bsd wrote:

> I have configured my new BSD server with a RELENG_5_3 tag in the cvs-
> supfile and I was wondering if I took the right track to update my  system.
>
> So far I have only compiled and installed the updated ports that I  need
> (in /usr/ports).

Are you aware of the fact that the FreeBSD base system and kernel
(/usr/src) have nothing to do with the ports (/usr/ports) in this
context and should be handled seperately?

> Since I have switched to the 5_3 instead of 5_3_RELEASE, do I have to
> do more updates for my system.

There is no RELENG_5_3_RELEASE tag; if you update your sources with this
tag everything would be deleted. It's RELENG_5_3_0_RELEASE.

Furthermore I can't imagine that this tag causes more updates; the
branch RELENG_5_3_0_RELEASE remains untouched as far as I know.

Read about the release engineering [1] and chapter 19 and 4 of the
handbook [2] to learn more about updating FreeBSD and third-party software.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/index.html
[2] http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

Björn