Explaining FreeBSD features

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Jun 23 09:30:33 GMT 2005

Most of the rank and file argued long against that contest.

>> Why should I study the drivers manual before getting a
>drivers license?
>>
>I do not know why people do it. I just learned driving in a
>deserted place.

I didn't say "learned driving" I said "get a license"  You have
to learn what's in the manual to pass the test to get the license.

>> That is correct.  I don't allow someone to cut into my body until they
>> have carefully explained how the whole procedure works and I
>understand
>> it.  I'm surprised you do.
>>
>There is another difference. I asked 'my' surgeon a simple
>question: how
>many died in your hands doing this. The number wasn't zero but within
>avarage. With other words, I just trust them.

It's not a question of trust, it's a question of do I understand what
is going to happen.  I find post-operative pain a lot easier to bear
when I know why it's hurting.

>Yes, but there is a small difference to FreeBSD's use by others: they
>are not forced to use FreeBSD and they should be used to RTFM.
>
>There are so many people out there who do not understand things this
>way. Just allow them with some help from others who are willing to help.

Ah, but help on who's terms? Telling a newbie to RTFM for an answer that
he asks which is in the manual IS help.

Ted