ccd usage

Dmitry Mityugov dmitry.mityugov at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 09:28:24 GMT 2005

On 6/23/05, Dan Z <redpeace at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm planning a new install and my question regards the usage of ccd.
> I have two disks of 30G and 20G.  Is it possible to use ccd to create
> a single /usr partition across these two disks?  How might this be
> done?  Can it be done from the sysinstall menu off the boot disk or
> will I need to do some toying around after initial install is
> completed?
>
> Also, while not part of the ccd question, if I'm not mistaken, I can
> create multiple swap partitions to spread swap usage across multiple
> drives.  Is this true?

Yes, this is true. From
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-initial.html:

"On larger systems with multiple SCSI disks (or multiple IDE disks
operating on different controllers), it is recommend that a swap is
configured on each drive (up to four drives). The swap partitions
should be approximately the same size. The kernel can handle arbitrary
sizes but internal data structures scale to 4 times the largest swap
partition. Keeping the swap partitions near the same size will allow
the kernel to optimally stripe swap space across disks"

Hopefully your first question will be answered by somebody else.

--
Dmitry

"We live less by imagination than despite it" - Rockwell Kent, "N by E"