Custom kernel config questions for Linux user

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Thu Jun 23 01:05:16 GMT 2005

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone could provide me an answer to the
following questions. Please keep in mind that by default I learned Unix
on a Linux system, so... please no flames :(.
    1) Is there any sort of configuration interface (ncurses, X, etc),
or am I 'stuck' with 'manually configuring' a textfile?
    2) Is there a complete list of features which can be enabled for the
kernel, other what was in the GENERIC configuration file?
    3) What is needed for the FreeBSD kernel and what modules need to be
compiled in order to use IDE CD-burning. In linux previous to kernel
version 2.6.8 I know that SCSI was required, but now they are doing
proper IDE emulation.
    Thanks, I'll most likely have more questions later.
-Garrett