FreeBSD & mini-ITX

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Jun 22 22:08:31 GMT 2005

On Jun 22, 2005, at 5:43 PM, Benjamin Keating wrote:
> I've been eyeing up these mini-ITX boards - would like to make a quite
> little file server. Does anyone here run a mini-ITX board (what
> model)? Does it work out of the box? Anything not supported? I'd go
> for one of VIA's as AMD's and others are still a little new and
> pricey. Recommend a shop to purchase from (in the US)?

I've got a VIA EPIA-M1000, a 1GHz VIA "CentaurHauls" C3 and 512MB of
RAM.  It mostly worked out-of-the-box (in textmode only, I haven't
really tried getting X11 to work with the integrated video).
Firewire and USB ports worked well, the vr0 (VIA Rhine II?) NIC
worked OK but seemed to get a little flakey under high load and would
drop traffic.

I'm not unhappy with the hardware, but it's reliability under load is
questionable compared to a Soekris 4511 or a generic Dell/Compaq/HP/
whatever box.  I'd probably get a Mac Mini instead if I had to redo
the choice today.

--
-Chuck