Xorg installation fails

Ean Kingston ean at hedron.org
Wed Jun 22 14:20:32 GMT 2005

On June 21, 2005 08:46 pm, Simon Ulfsbecker wrote:
> Hi readers,
>
> I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to why my Xorg installation
> fails.
> Xorg.0.log file can be fetched at:
>
> http://hem.bredband.net/simulf/Xorg.0.log

No promises I have a clue here. I am by no means an X setup expert. My
technique is to choose hardware that is explicitly listed as compatible in
the documentation (and early on in the probe list)  but I did notice a few
things:

First, your output indicates that you don't yet have an xorg.conf setup. Try
running xorgconfig from the command line and answering the questions very
carefully. Go through the video card database and find your exact video card
if you can when selecting the video card.

Secondly, I noticed that xorg probed your video card as a radeon but it chose
to use the generic ati driver. I think there is now an included radeon
specific driver.

Third, I believe that xorg defaults to a ps2 mouse/keyboard if your hardware
has ps2 ports without even looking elsewhere. I used to have an old serial
mouse and XFree86 failed to find it on hardware with ps2 ports. If I
explicitly configured xorg to use the serial mouse there was no problems.

On the mouse topic, I have since switched to using the FreeBSD moused console
mouse utility and configuring xorg to use the sysmouse device instead. You
have to configure this manually to get xorg to use the sysmouse properly.

As for your logitech mouse, I've used those (serial, ps2, and usb) on various
systems without a problem using moused so unless you are having hardware
problems it should work fine.