support for ICH6R controller and Broadcom ethernet

Jim Mozley jim.mozley at exponential-e.net
Wed Jun 22 13:15:06 GMT 2005

I have asked this on freebsd-hardware but didn't hear anything so I
hoped someone here could help...

I am potentially buying a server with a Tyan Tomcat i7221 motherboard. I
am unsure of the support in FreeBSD for the following:

- ICH6R disk controller

- Broadcom BCM5721 ethernet

Ideally I would put FreeBSD 4.10 on the systems as we are already using
this on several systems (these new servers unfortunately have to be
different to the previous ones).

FreeBSD 4.11 hardware compatibility says there is support for intel ICH5
as does the ata man page for FreeBSD 4.10. I've also checked the man
page for ata on FreeBSD 5.4 and it says up to ICH5.

I am aware that there is Broadcom support via the bge driver, the man
page says "provides support for various NICs based on the Broadcom
BCM570x". Haven't found any mention of what I assume is the later
controller and the broadcom website doesn't have any mention of a
Freebsd driver.

Can anyone advise on support for these in version 4.10, if I need 5.4 or
whether they will work at all?

Thanks,

Jim