-DNOPROFILE with make buildworld...

Harrison Peter CSA BIRKENHEAD peter.harrison at dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Wed Jun 22 08:32:27 GMT 2005

OK that makes sense now I think - it's basically an optimisation tool?
Thanks for the explanation. I don't imagine needing this at the moment
so noprofile looks like the correct option for me.

> Programs that have been compiled with profiling enabled might run
> fractionally slower that without. But I doubt the difference is
> significant on a modern machine.
>
> I'll be bold and say that modern machines are so fast that there is
> seldom need to profile a program.

The machine in question is running on an Athlon XP 1800+ so it's not
that fast (or modern for that matter), but I take your point.

> Roland
> --
> R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail
> as plain text.
> public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt

Thanks again,

Peter Harrison

This document is strictly confidential and is intended only for use by the addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or other
action taken in reliance of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not necessarily those of the Department
for Work and Pensions.
If you have received this transmission in error, please use the reply function to tell us
and then permanently delete what you have received.
Please note: Incoming and outgoing e-mail messages are routinely monitored for compliance
with our policy on the use of electronic communications.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet (GSi) virus scanning service supplied exclusively by Energis in partnership with MessageLabs.

On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus-free