howto update freebsd 4.7 release to 4.7 stable

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Jun 21 22:10:22 GMT 2005

Khanh Cao Van <cvkhanh at gmail.com> writes:

> My custom use freeBSD 4.7 release and ask me to install JDK1.4 on it .
> But when I use ports to compile JDK , the system show me a message :

Please keep in mind that 4.7 was superseded more than two years ago,
and the whole 4.x branch was superseded as the -STABLE branch six
months ago.  Ports support will be slightly limited.

> You must have a version of FreeBSD later than 4.7-STABLE February 2003
> or 5-CURRENT February 2003 to compile and use JDK 1.4.2.
>
> So I have to update my 4.7 release to 4.7 stable . But I do not know
> how to do make it . I've looking everywhere but could not find any
> clear document about it . Please help me !
>
> PS : I'm not going to upgrade my kernel 4.7 to 4.8 or anything else ,
> just 4.7 only . Thank for reading !

That may not work; 4.7-STABLE is what eventually became 4.8.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html

Try the RELENG_4_7 tag, and maybe it will include the changes you need.

If not, maybe you should try a Linux JDK; some of those are in
FreeBSD's ports system, too.