postfix, ubuntu+postfix and FBSD+sendmail

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Tue Jun 21 16:56:20 GMT 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 12:51:24AM +0200, albi at scii.nl wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 15:05:16 -0700
> Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:
>
> > > from the posting it's not so clear to me that the poster is running
> > > postfix on FreeBSD and/or ubuntu ?
> > >
> > > if the latter only, then i'd like to add that in ubuntu warty (not
> > > sure about hoary), the postfix master.cf was by default configured
> > > to accept only mail from localhost
> >

> > 	On my FBSD mailserver I run sendmail, on my ubuntu computer I'm
> > 	running postfix.  Can't make much sense of master.cf from a
> > 	glance.  Is there a way of accepting mail from any/all other
> > 	servers?
>
> a google-search for "ubuntu postfix master.cf" found this :
>
> http://www.petersblog.org/node/839
>
> ----------- begin quote --------
> The solution to this was to edit the /etc/postfix/master.cf file and
> change the lines:
>
> 127.0.0.1:smtp inet n   -       -       -       -       smtpd
> ::1:smtp       inet n   -       -       -       -       smtpd

> smtp      inet  n       -       -       -       -       smtpd
>
> which tells it to listen to any connection to the smtp port, not just
> local connections.
>
> HTH

	This was a major help, thanks:)   In main.cf the name of my
	server was missing, and more.  All in all getting Postfix
	to work was a couple-day job.  I am learning how evolution
	works too, so a bunch of things to get working.  (mutt
	worked out of the box, of course.)

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix