Newbie - Trouble installing OpenOffice

Subhro subhro.kar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 13:54:49 GMT 2005

On 6/21/2005 5:58, Lawrence Petrykanyn wrote:

>Hi!

Hello :-),

>    First, I tried to install OpenOffice using the ports collection.
>The first attempt proceeded successfully for quite a while, but then failed
>because it was unable to fetch certain files (no file found, access denied),
>then subsequent attempts failed because it said that a lower version was
>already installed.

Before trying a second time, did you clean up the installation folders
using 'make clean'?

>So I did a pkg_delete which did not work because:
>"pkg_delete couldn't entirely delete package (perhaps the packing list is
>incorrectly specified?)".

Didn't get you. What did you try to pkg_delete?

>So I looked in /var/db/pkg but didn't see an
>OpenOffice folder.

Entirely expected. OpenOffice installation was not registered as it was
never completed.

>            Knowing when to quit, I decided to install the package so I
>downloaded OOo_1.1.3_FreeBSD410Intel410_install.tgz and did pkg_add -r
>openoffice.

It is always a good idea to use prebuilt binaries compared to home made
ones for two reasons. First of all if you dont have a very powerful
system, it would be a hard time compiling something like KDE or
OpenOffice which can very well take days before it finishes off.
Secondly, it saves lot of bandwidth. That matters if you are not very
rich and bandwidth is costly like it is for me. But the pros of using
home made binaries are, you can use optimizations and make the binary
hardware specific. This would give a BIG performance gain. Secondly
there are a few features which needs to be enabled at compile time. In
most of the cases this calls for using the ports.

>  The attempt failed but I did manage to copy the output.  It was
>over ten-thousand lines long, so I just excerpted it:
>

>sympatico# pkg_add -r openoffice
>Fetching, etc...
>
>/var: write failed, filesystem is full
>OpenOffice.org1.1.2/share/cde/types/it.UTF-8/vnd.sun.xml.draw.dt: Can't open
>OpenOffice.org1.1.2/share/cde/types/it.UTF-8/vnd.sun.xml.draw.dt': No such
>file or directory
>/var: write failed, filesystem is full
>OpenOffice.org1.1.2/share/cde/types/it.UTF-8/vnd.sun.xml.impress.dt: Can't
>open OpenOffice.org1.1.2/share/cde/types/it.UTF-8/vnd.sun.xml.impress.dt':
>No such file or directory
>.
>.
>.
>/var: write failed, filesystem is full
>OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program/python-core: Can't restore symlink to
>'python-core-2.2.2': No space left on device
>/var: write failed, filesystem is full
>/var: write failed, filesystem is full

Did you have softupdates enabled on your system? Soft updates sometimes
defer the release of file descriptors. And if you start using file
descriptors too fast then you may run out of available descriptors thus
getting this error in spite of the face that there is space on the platters.

>            When I saw the "filesystem is full" message, I did a df:
>
>sympatico#  df
>Filesystem  1K-blocks    Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
>/dev/ad1s1a    253678  119824   113560    51%
>/devfs                1       1        0   100%    /dev
>/dev/ad1s1e    253678      16   233368     0%    /tmp
>/dev/ad1s1f  36221772 3195004 30129028    10%    /usr
>/dev/ad1s1d    253678  159700    73684    68%    /var
>/dev/ad0s1    9950544 7666112  2284432    77%    /mnt

It really looks to me as if the soft updates is the culprit. May we have
a look at 'mount' without the 's?

Thanks
S.