OT: usage of split

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Mon Jun 20 13:46:12 GMT 2005

On Sunday 19 June 2005 22:31, Andrew L. Gould wrote:

> 1.  Can the split utility be used on binary files?

Yes.

> 2.  How does one rejoin the resulting split files to recreate the
> original file?  I assume you can cat text files into a new file using
> redirection (>>); but can you do that with a binary file?

Yes.  From the first line of the cat(1) man page: "cat - concatenate files".
There you have it - "cat" is short for "concatenate".  It's the opposite of
"split".

If you want to prove it to yourself, try using cmp or md5 to compare before
and after versions of split-and-rejoined files.
--
Kirk Strauser