Detailed logging of ssh sessions

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sun Jun 19 22:48:23 GMT 2005

Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52 at dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> Bill Moran wrote:
>
> >I'd like to start logging everything that
> >happens during any ssh login (since all our work on these machines is
> >via ssh).  I understand, and frequently use script(1), but I want this
> >to be required.  I have two goals:
> >1) If someone manages to guess a password and break in, I want a log
> >   of what they're doing.
> >2) I want 100% guarantee that everything we do is recorded, to make
> >   future debugging of configuration mistakes easier.
> >
> >I've been researching sshd, and it doesn't seem as if it has this
> >capability.
>
> I think you're looking in the wrong place for this functionality.  SSH
> is just a point-to-point connector.  The functionality you want should
> come in some way from the login shell.

I suspected that might be the way to go, but I've been unable to get
anything working so far.

<snip>

> If you really want this to be secure, the log files ought to be on a
> read-only medium.  If someone hacks root they can delete the trace

Logging is done both on and off-machine (i.e. syslog logs locally, and
sends the logs to a dedicated logging machine as well)

As long as I can use syslog for the logging, I've got my secure logs.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies