Can't mount partitions with soft-updates enabled with async option

Lefteris Tsintjelis lefty at ene.asda.gr
Sun Jun 19 08:42:46 GMT 2005

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> Squid is such a memory hungry beast that I wouldn't worry about a small
> percentage of page faults caused by softupdates.  The proxy itself is
> probably causing a hell of a lot more page faults as it maps cache files
> or as it recycles cache entries :-)

You are very right about this one.

> Are you absolutely sure it's softupdates that is causing these extra
> page faults?  (Which *may* be true, because of the extra memory
> softupdates need, in order to operate.  But how can you tell?)

Well, according to squid the page faults were due to physical writes but
I can't tell for sure yet. I guess I can try and test it and see what
happens. If the percentages are that small then it most definitely isn't
worth the trouble at all. My estimated guess was that the numbers would
have been greater than just 2-3%. Knowing though how easily an async
file system can corrupt, is there the slightest chance this could happen
under normal but heavy usage?

Thank you all for the responses,

Lefteris