VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP .. Xorg drivers .. not via .. FreeBSD

Everett Batey efbatey at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 22:16:58 GMT 2005

According to http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=5&ArticleID=68&P=6
the Via User website,  on running wins3id.exe .. my MSI KM3M-V Mobo like
scanpci -v says

 .. Has Builton "VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP"
  Chip ID 7205  /  SSven  1462  /  SSdev  7061
which =s scanpci Output .. It is in hardware location AGP 01/00/0

Either FreeBSD's X.org (and FreeSBIE older Xorg) DO NOT PROPERLY
SUPPORT the X.org recommended "via" driver or the driver is broken or
the FreeBSD has some serious  other native problems.  Knoppix 3.4 which
uses XFree86_4 drives this chip just fine.

When I backed FreeBSD 5.4 down to using XFree86 4 vs using X.org at
least I got a screen to paint .. no widgets .. but hires matte.

Is there anyone in FreeBSD land who might help or help me fix this? .. I have
another server dying and am confronted with Linux and deserting FreeBSD.

I really dont want to do that .. it would approach the pain of losing
my kitty.

Ev Batey -- WA6CRE -- efbatey at gmail.com
  805 340-6471  http://www.cotdazr.org