postfix or qmail?

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Sat Jun 18 15:25:30 GMT 2005

On Saturday 18 June 2005 06:24 am, Luciano Musacchio wrote:

> I've a simple question, postfix or qmail? :)

My choice is Postfix.  It's still under active development and isn't hampered
by bizarre licensing and enormous egos.

Furthermore, Qmail seems to have earned its reputation for security the
standard DJB way: by implementing only the easy parts of the standard and
complaining loudly about the hard parts ("those are insecure!") until
everyone quits asking for them.

> Other thing (perhaps, the one that I interest more your opinion), do anyone
> know why MacOS X Server is using postfix instead of qmail?

All technical debates aside, Qmail isn't F/OSS software.  They couldn't ship
it without getting a custom license.
--
Kirk Strauser