SMP and networking under FreeBSD 5.3

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Sat Jun 18 10:51:50 GMT 2005

Joe wrote:

>Okay, back on topic.
>
>I've changed my rules in ipfw, and no longer get the hostname ..
>messages.
>
>Now natd does not start and it complains 'unable to bind divert
>socket, and then cant assign requested address'.  I'm using:
>
>natd_enable="YES"
>natd_interface="dc0"
>natd_flags="-dynamic -d -log_ipfw_denied -log_denied"

These are my parameters below which definitely work -- or you wouldn't
be seeing this email :)  I can't see anything obviously wrong with
yours; what I would suggest is to start with just "-dynamic" since
that's the only one that's *required* for this setup to work and see how
that does.  I can't find your original rules: I assume that a) dc0 *is*
your external interface (typos are a common source of errors, though I
don't think that's the case here) b) you have an ifconfig_dc0="DHCP"
line in /etc/rc.conf.

natd_enable="YES"                               # Natd packet translation
natd_flags="-log -log_denied -dynamic"
natd_interface="sis0"
ifconfig_sis0="DHCP"                            # External network

At startup I get a message like:

Jun 18 10:38:58 natd[701]: Aliasing to 0.0.0.0, mtu 1500 bytes

just after the firewall rules start up.

The divert rule in my firewall says:

ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via ${natd_interface}

If you have static rules rather than a script then you need
${natd_interface} to be replaced directly with dc0.

The other things to check, I guess, are that those are the *only* natd
lines you have:

egrep natd /etc/rc.conf /etc.rc.conf.local

--Alex