Vexing IPF problem

DH dhutch9999 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 17 16:32:01 GMT 2005

Nuke & pave unfortunately is not a desireable option - there are a hair over 1k rules in the total rule set ( 99 % are address blocks of "evil doers" ).   I'm observing the blocking behavior relative to addresses that are not specifically blocked.

Looking at the log entries it looks as though the inbound ACK packet gets dropped after the ogoing connection request is made.

Thank You for your rsvp.

David Hutchens III
Network Technician

fbsd_user <fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com> wrote:
1. Best thing is scrap your firewall rules and use the IPF rules
listed in the firewall/ipfilter section of the official handbook.
2. There are a lot of spoof packets using port 80 on the public
internet and that may be what you are seeing.