./configure question

Denny White dennyboy at cableone.net
Fri Jun 17 01:55:42 GMT 2005

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Vinicius Pavanelli Vianna wrote:

> Would it be "./configure --help" ?
> You can run it to see what configuration is possible with the src you
> are building, but that's what port does, it's a frontend to it (correct
> me with wrong).
>
> If you want to build manually the src you need to run "./configure
> --args" like "./configure --with-mysql --with-zlib" for php in example,
> and after the configure script run OK you do "make install" to make and
> install the program.
>
> HTH,
> Vinicius

>> a problem.  Exit from the shell, and paste the contents of the
>> "typescript" file created into email so you can show exactly what the
>> error message is.

>> Okay, I see I'm in such a confused state that I appear
>> to be confusing others. I had read somewhere that you
>> can go into a port dir you want to install, and do
>> make extract & then cd into the work dir just created,
>> you could do a ./configure with some option afterward
>> that would show you all the available arguments/options
>> you can include when you configure it before making it,
>> instead of reading the makefile. Then, in that dir, you
>> do ./configure --arguments --options to get it ready
>> to build it the way you want. And, instead of that, you
>> can also do ./configure \ which puts you in a shell on
>> the next line where you enter all the arguments and then
>> exit on an empty line when you're done. Which, btw, works
>> for me. I hope this time I've made it more clear. And
>> no, I'm not trying to build binutils.

Okay, you'll have to go back to the top of this
message to follow from there to here. You top
posted, is what I'm saying. Not complaining,
just letting you know how to follow the message.
/.configure --help works, but only with the
complete path I mentioned above. It does, on
the other hand, work okay in the form
./configure \ which is also explained above.
I probably just don't understand enough & will
keep playing with it. I was just lazy & didn't
want to peruse the makefile, write down or print
the arguments I wanted to use, & they type them
in after make. Thanks for the reply.