Remote server warnings

Greg Maruszeczka greg at grokking.org
Thu Jun 16 14:02:12 GMT 2005

Jonathan Arnold wrote:
> I'm going to be moving my server to a remote site, where I'll only
> be able to ssh to it for any kind of service.  It has been local,
> hooked up via a KVM switch, so it will be a new setup for me.
>
> What sorts of problems should I keep an eye out for? What kind of
> setup should I have?  I've turned on ssh. What else should I do?
> How hard will it be to update my system remotely?

Use rsa/dsa keys and disable password auth in sshd_config.

You can generally do port upgrades via ssh without issue. Obviously you
have to be careful when performing major updates like `make world` where
it's usually recommended that you drop to single-user mode before
installing world. Some folks claim they do the whole make world dance by
remote and just don't reboot or drop to single-user mode. Personally,
I'd never do this on a production box but I recall some good discussion
on this list a few months ago about this very topic. Check the archives
if you're interested.