SMP and networking under FreeBSD 5.3

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Jun 15 23:20:19 GMT 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 09:15:01AM -0700, Joe wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     Not sure if this is the place to ask this.  But this is a
> freebsd question.
>
>     I've been running FreeBSD since about 4.6.  I have 2
> machines running FreeBSD.  One is used as a router, its an SMP
> machine, and the other is used to build the source code.
>
>     I'm having a problem with the SMP machine.  When the machine
> boots, dmesg shows two messages, that the UP does not show.
>
> WARNING: debug.mpsafenet forced to 0 as ipsec requires Giant
> WARNING: MPSAFE network stack disabled, expect reduced
> performance.
>
>    In v52a I did not get these messages.  After doing some
> research, I understand that this has to do with the kernel
> locking.
>
>    It seems that now my networking is not working on the SMP
> machine.  I know others have asked about this, and saw the
> release notes, about setting debug.mpsafenet=0, but my
> networking is still not working right.

This does not indicate a bug.  Rather, the situation is *exactly the
same as it was in every previous version of FreeBSD* -- there was just
not point in mentioning the condition specifically because it applied
to every system.  If you remove IPSEC from your kernel (e.g. use
FAST_IPSEC instead), you will be able to benefit from improved SMP
performance relative to previous versions (actually, you should
upgrade to 5.4 which has much better performance than 5.3).

>    Also /dev/kmem and /dev/mem are missing so netstat -ar does
> not work either.

You probably omitted them from your kernel.

Kris