ThinkPad X30 installation problem

Iavor Raytchev iavor_raytchev at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 23:00:20 GMT 2005

> What is the purpose of using PartitionMagic after
> the
> install?  Are you able to boot into FreeBSD and
> Windows?
> If so, then I fail to see the problem, if not, then
> what errors are you getting.

Hi Bob, thank you for your note.

There is no FreeBSD related purpose to use
PartitionMagic. I am in process of making FreeBSD the
primarily operating system to use, and as I should
keep Windows for certain cases, I am still trying to
figure out how much HDD will be needed for what. I
have no problem if I should not use PartitionMagic
after FreeBSD has been installed, I just need to know
if this is the case.

Yes, I can boot into both FreeBSD and Windows.

I can't recall the errors completely but the essence
of all of them is that certain sector (?) has
different LBA and CHS and that PartitionMagic has
determined that the LBA value is correct, so it wants
to fix it.

I can understand if PartitionMagic does not understand
FreeBSD partitions and this causes the problem. I can
assume that there might be something with that as
PartitionMagic can deal for example with ext2 and ext3
partitions, but not with FreeBSD partitions.

Is the rule of thumb on dual boot Windows XP/FreeBSD
systems - 'do not touch the partitions anymore' or?

Iavor