df: root partition at 108% capacity! Can't find why...

Philip Hallstrom freebsd at philip.pjkh.com
Wed Jun 15 21:50:41 GMT 2005

> Hi All,
>
> df: root partition at 108% capacity! Can't find why...
>
> After searching google freebsd.org I am no nearing to figuring this out,
> other than this is a "known" problem. Either I or the system managed to get
> the root partition back to under 100% but only just... I have looked for any
> large files that might be taking up space but have yet to locate anything
> over 3meg.
>
> Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts gratefully received.

cd /
du -hsx *

-h      "Human-readable" output.  Use unit suffixes: Byte, Kilobyte,
              Megabyte, Gigabyte, Terabyte and Petabyte

-s      Display an entry for each specified file.  (Equivalent to -d 0)

-x      File system mount points are not traversed.

Look for the largest directly, cd into that and repeat until you get down
far enough to find the offender.

Works for me...

-philip