FreeBSD 5.4 X Org Fluebox Keyboard dont respond?

Bernhard Fischer bernhard.fischer at fh-stpoelten.ac.at
Wed Jun 15 15:13:55 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 17:43, perikillo wrote:
>  For some problems with my last installation i decide to install again the
> system, freebsd 5.4 Release,
> make the cvsup to update my tree, compile my kernel to add my sound card
> and other things, install my ports and them upgrade my ports:
>
> test$ cd /usr/ports
> test$ make update
>
> The system update my ports. Ok this is only information, because i install
> Xorg from packages, the only thing i didnt install was the "Print Server"
> from the options, them use:
>
> test$ xorgconfig
>
> Setup my X system, every thing was right, write my file. I make the test:
>
> test$ startx
>
> My X system start, but still any answer from the keyboard, my mouse is
> working good, but the problem is that i cannot shutdown the X system using
> the "Ctrl+Atl+Backspace" because my Kbd is not working, i try to use the
> mouse menu to shutdown the system but no answer, the last thing to do was
> use the Reset button, is hard to make that decision, but was the only thing
> do. I read again the Xorg log under /var/log/ but i dont see any problems
> with the Kbd or mouse settings.
>
> After that, i decide to make the buildworld, after some hours i finish the
> installworld, builkernel+installkernel,mergemaster, my upgrade process was
> correct, any problems, them i decide to test again with my X system:
>
> test$ startx
>
> Any errors, but the system dont do nothing, any message or errors. Today
> after work i will try what fisher say using the XDM. Any information about
> this issue will be apreciated. In this moment my system dont have any
> Desktop system, only Xorg.
>
> Hey Fisher, did you install the xorg from ports or packages..?
>
> Good day to all.
>
> On 6/13/05, Bernhard Fischer <bernhard.fischer at fh-stpoelten.ac.at> wrote:
> > Hy,
> >
> > I can confirm your problem for FreeBSD 5.4 amd64-RC3 and I got the same
> > problem with a Linux 2.6.8 on an ASUS-Laptop.
> >
> > Unfortunately I've no good solution but I'm fairly sure that the problem
> > is
> > related to the X.org <http://X.org> and not the OS.
> > I think there's something wrong in the communication between the keyboard
> > driver of the OS and the X server and (on my machines) it always apeared
> > only
> > when booting directly into X running xdm from inittab or /etc/rc.d.
> >
> > I figured out that booting to command line and then starting X manually
> > (by
> > typing xdm on a root shell) will not cause the problem.
> >
> > Regards,
> > bh
> >
> > On Sunday 12 June 2005 11:24, perikillo wrote:
> > > Hi all.
> > > I upgrade my Freebsd 5.3 Release to 5.4 Release using the cvsup system,
> > > make the buildworld+buildkernel+installkernel, and the others things,
> > > on that time my system was with the cvsup port only, them upgrade my
> [...]

My Upgrade was successful!

I upgraded from 5.4-RC3 to 5.4-STABLE (amd64) using cvsup (the src-all branch)
and rebuilt the whole system from source.

I did not reinstall or change anything else, neither X.Org nor KDE.
But now the keyboard works, even after directly booting into X (starting kdm
from /usr/local/etc/rc.d).

I should also mention that I'm using a Keytronic keyboard, not a Fluebox as
lined out in this thread.

Regards,
bh