can't access virtual terminal

Peter Miller feurcab at yahoo.ca
Wed Jun 15 00:50:27 GMT 2005

Hello,
I'm able to access my virtual consoles when i boot up
and use the terminal, but as soon as i start x i can't
access the virtual terminals.  If i shut down x i can
use the terminals fine.  I'm using a 5.3 install and
checked the /etc/ttys file and it shows the following

# If console is marked "insecure", then init will ask
for the root password
# when going to single-user mode.
console none                            unknown off
secure
#
ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on
secure
# Virtual terminals

ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on
secure
ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on
secure
ttyv3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on
secure
ttyv4   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on
secure
ttyv5   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on
secure
ttyv6   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on
secure
ttyv7   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on
secure
ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off
secure
# Serial terminals
......cut
It doesn't matter if i'm root or not... and i'm using
xfce4 if that matters

Thanks
Peter