[Solved] How to disable > quoting of lines starting with From in email body?

John Brooks john at day-light.com
Tue Jun 14 20:19:50 GMT 2005

This is a function of the receiving MTA. mbox format inserts a line
at the beginning of each email in the form of:

>From <user at sending.mail> <date>

This serves as a message delimiter inside the flat text file format
of mbox. Your POP3 mail server needs these lines. Anyway, any time
another line within the headers or message body BEGINS with "From xxx..."
it will be prepended with a single ">" to preserve the validity of
the message delimiters.

This is easy to test. telnet to your mail server on port 25 and
manually deposit an email that has the following lines:

this is a test
From: hello
From
>From hello
see which will be prepended

This is an entirely distinct issue from the 'quoting' of previous
message bodies (as in below)

--
John Brooks
john at day-light.com