vlan - pls help

Wolfgang Lausenbart wmiuser at m-net.arbornet.org
Tue Jun 14 08:28:28 GMT 2005

Hi ann,

as few/far as I know, you cannot ping from one vlan
to another. thats the clue. you have to free the ports
on the switch to allow trunking.

I used this
http://www.expresshosting.net/howto/VLAN-802.1q-Tagging-in-FreeBSD-For-Rate-Limiting-and-Firewalling.html

howto, and could send vlan frames, but I am
not sure if they are working. (no hardware yet)

In the howto above a cisco device is configured.

The em(4)driver is vlan capable, you should see something like VLAN_MTU
next to UP,BROADCAST and so on. you should be capable to generate
8021.q Frames.

btw. you used the same arp adresses. does this make sense?
I asked that here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-June/089833.html

good look
wmiuser/u at netbeisser.de