"bsdlabel: Geom not found" when working with a new md device (disk backed) -- help

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Tue Jun 14 06:25:04 GMT 2005

On Jun 13, 2005, at 11:28 PM, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

> Hi
>
> Tonight I was trying to create a new disk backed /dev/md device to
> add some space to a jail for some sa-exim based greylisting tuple
> storage.
>
> I create the disk file using dd just fine.   I then use
>
> /sbin/mdconfig -a -t vnode -f disk_file_storagel -u 2506
>
> and I do get a /dev device
>
> ls -al /dev/md250*
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4, 250 May 31 00:27 /dev/md2500
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4, 253 May 31 00:27 /dev/md2501
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4, 0x00010000 May 31 00:27 /dev/md2502
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4, 0x00010003 May 31 00:27 /dev/md2503
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4, 0x0001006e May 31 00:27 /dev/md2506
>
> For some reason the dev device flags are a lot different, but it
> does exist.
>
> I then go to label it using the example from the Handbook
>
> disklabel -r -w md2506 auto
> (bsdlabel)
>
> I then get
>
> bsdlabel: Geom not found
>
> I have no idea what it is talking about.
>
> This worked earlier today when I created a new jail and created a
> new file backed md device to house it.
>
> What is going on and what am I doing wrong?

some more info

geom knows about the md dev

Geom name: md2506
Providers:
1. Name: md2506
    Mediasize: 1392508928 (1.3G)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Mode: r0w0e0

Actually, the one I did earlier today did not work either.  I did it
as part of a script and did not notice the error message, which is
the same...

Is there a limit to the number of /dev/md devices I can have?   I
have 106, 2 of which are not working with this bsdlabel problem.  I
read the man pages for md and mdconfig and did not see any limits
listed.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

best
Chad